On the 4th of July 2009, Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology (Africa International University), on its 24th Graduation ceremony, a total of 105 students graduated with Masters Degree, Post Graduate Diplomas, Diplomas and Certificates after completing their studies. The graduands were from the following countries; Kenya, Tanzania, Nigeria, Sudan, Uganda, Benin Republic, U.S.A., Ethiopia, Burundi, South Korea, Rwanda and United Kingdom.
The theme of the graduation was ‘Truth and its Transforming Power’ from John 8:32 and the Guest Speaker was Professor John Mbiti whose graduation Address was, “‘You will know the Truth, and the Truth will make you free’ (John 8:32) Towards a Christian University in Africa and its Mission in Society’”.
The speaker was giving an explanation on what is truth? And from the Address, several aspects of truth were given;
· Truth doesn’t fade
· Truth is gigantic and enormous
· Truth is powerful and invincible
· Truth gives direction and orientation
· Truth confronts individuals with burning questions
· Truth sets people free to know themselves and others as it travels slowly and steadily and it is possible for the elements of truth to remain dormant before they come out
· Truth provides shades and shelter without discrimination and it is accessible to and available at all times
· Truth is higher, deeper and broader as it contains abundant waters that quench thirst
· Truth is life giving, sustaining and self propagating as it doesn’t attack, kill or steal but instead gives rest, security and peace.
· Truth is enduring and lasting as it has eternal dimensions
Absolute truth is in and from God and cannot be uprooted by the devil neither can it be altered nor polluted by falsehood.
St. Augustine said, “Our hearts are restless until we find rest in God.”
As believers in Jesus Christ, we already know the truth as it is clearly stated in the Bible, John 14:6, “Jesus answered; I am the Truth, the Way and the Life….” May we take our time as believers in Jesus Christ to continue sharing the Good News to all as we participate in the Great Commission as stated in Matthew 28:19-20, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of age.”